Saturday, November 26, 2011

research...

please don't judge my unmanicured hands... this was the first pic minutes after :)
So, I keep saying that I want to enjoy my engagement.  I mean, after all, that's part of the engagement story :)  And it's also become a running joke between Rory and my brother-in-law, Daniel... "But I thought you were enjoying your engagement?"  Hardee har har...  But I DO want to enjoy my engagement for a little while and not stress about wedding planning.  That being said, I have also already bought a few bridal magazines... but to be honest, they have been stressing me out more than making me excited.  I read in one that the average wedding today costs $35,000!!!  Folks, this is more than my annual salary.  So please explain to me how a hard-working lower-to-average middle class couple is supposed to pay for this "average" wedding? I can confidently state that our wedding will not cost this; we simply can't afford for it to.  I can also confidently state that this is likely one of the many contributors to why our country is in the economic crisis it is in.  Do I want to have a nice wedding?  Yes.  But is it worth going further (because yes, I am in debt -- thanks student loans!!) into debt for?  Absolutely not.  If people would care less about what other people thought about them and about more what is reasonable, we would all be happier and better off.  So that being said, don't expect to take home a digital camera from my wedding... be glad if we give you a bag of Hershey bars and marshmallows :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maggie! Congrats on your engagement! Mine started a year ago on Christmas and I have really enjoyed it. Yes, it can be very stressful at times and I am getting more stressed as the date creeps up (April), but I have enjoyed it. When I first started reading the magazines, I freaked, just like you. $35,000 for one day? I mean come on. That's a nice down payment on a house! We are in the same boat as you. Lower to average middle class and planning a wedding... But, I have done so much research that I think that we are planning a beautiful wedding for WELL under $35,000!

    If you have any questions, feel free to ask me on facebook! I think I have seen every wedding website on the internet in the last year.

    Good luck on the planning! And like everyone tells me, don't forget that the day is about you and your husband to be! You can't make everyone happy. But don't let that get to you. Make yourself and your fiance happy, and I'm sure you will have a great wedding day!

    Lauren Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete